Tuesday, July 21, 2015

I Admit It. I Enjoy Scott Kaplan.




I think I have officially come full circle with Scott Kaplan. I mean I flat out couldn't listen to him when I moved to SD a decade ago. I have now realized that it was a combo of factors on why I initially didn't like Kaplan. I came from the complete different sports market in Boston where radio is completely different. Hosts there HAMMER the home town teams for the most part even when its not all that needed. But, I have learned that this sports market kinda relates to what Kaplan is producing on daily show. Sports are more of an entertainment factor hear and Kaplan understands that with his usual light hearted nature.

His best work has been with the coverage of the politics with the Chargers stadium situation. Some of the interviews he has done with local political figureheads have been good enough to continue to listen to the show after you have arrived at your destination. I have sat in my truck listening to some of the interviews until completion instead of going into my house. (Wife just stares at me and shakes her head)

Also- Kaplan hosted a pre game Padres show with one of my favorites in San Diego. Kurt Anthony Bevacqua bantered with Kaplan over a sub .500 team and I couldn't stop listening. That's a good sign that radio is good. Bevacqua is electric because you simply have zero clue where he is going with a comment or subject matter and it feels like he doesn't as well. Those 2 together need to happen more often. I need more Bevacqua in my life and I needed it yesterday. I picture him walking around his backyard with a flowed bottom down opened up while consuming multiple whiskeys talking to the birds about pitching mechanics. Love him.

P.S.  Kaplan has before challenged callers or individuals to come into the studio and go on air. Would Kill to get in the same room with these guys. Would be wild to see how this show operates in first person. Seeing BR grunt though a confusing subject matter would make my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment