Friday, April 10, 2015

Padres Opening Day "Hot Take" Blog



Opening Day is the only day of the year I miss working in pro sports. The other 364 days of the year I would rather play in traffic than be in the sports industry. Always fun feeling the excitement and being part of big party. Nothing in life is more burned into my memory than when I first saw the green of the grass in Fenway Park. Working in sports was overall a good learning experience and I'm glad I experienced it and also put behind me.

Hardo Pic Alert...


Padre "Hot Take" 4 game review…

The team is definitely more entertaining to watch than any other year this century. Their playoff teams were garbage this century. Got a lot of names on this squad that make things interesting and watchable. I have watched more games this year than the entire 2014 season. The "RockStar" GM notion might become true but the team so far is slightly flawed. Might want to put those shirts in storage for a bit. Very small sample size but this team is handicap with defensive range especially up the middle. Also only have 1 lefty bat in their lineup makes it easy to prepare for and setup a relief plan for the opposing team. This heavy right handed lineup has made 2 above average right handed starting pitchers to look too comfortable(excluding Greinke bc he is a stud).

Bud is going to be under the microscope with his late inning relief pitching matchup and its well deserved. When ownership spends this much money they expect the manager to pull the right strings.

Positive:

I give the Padres first 4 games a C- grade. The one bright spot is my new boy Norris. I openly questioned why the Padres picked him up this off season and was dead wrong. Every team needs the little crazy/loose cannon/Grinder that Norris has brought to the lineup. He has also really impressed me with his interactions with the press. Guy gets it and has a competitive edge that you gotta love. Also dropped an A++++  quote on this squabble with Pagan.

"He was just being kind of a dickhead, and I don’t take kindly to that."

Same Old Padres:

The player intros with smoke cannon blasts to the Padres players faces me cry with laughter. I blame the lack of hitting on opening day bc of those blasts to the face. Never a good look getting blasted in the face with anything...


P.S.  If the Padres look bad against Lincecum and Peavy it is officially panic time. Both those pitchers haven't been good in 5 years.

P.S.S. Overreacting after the first 2 series results is what teams that have expectations need to get used to. Local writers will still probably try to play patty cake with the guys after the game win or lose though. Softserve media.

No comments:

Post a Comment